Reflections of and on a probably Asperger's parent parenting an Asperger's kid (or 2)!

dragon pups

dragon pups

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Art of Intuition

ok - so this is the title of a book - and I TOTALLY think EVERYONE should read it!

So I have been feeling for the past week that I really NEEDED to read a book - to the point that I asked my boss for assigned reading.  I just knew I needed A book, didn't know which one...

So I meandered over to Books-A-Million this weekend - thinking I'd look for yet another book about Asperger's... and somehow ended up in the "Self Growth" section of the store - which I had never visited before.  I picked up this pretty little book with a blue butterfly on the cover.
"The Art of Intuition"... I think that cover looks familiar, I think I read this one before. I put it back, I kept looking.  I picked the book up again to look, and again felt like I had already seen it, so put it back.  I kept looking... and when I looked in my hands, I had "The Art of Intuition" in it AGAIN.... so I figured I must need it.


Got home, started reading it. I have NOT read it before, but it was so compelling that I finished it that night.  It opened some windows of thought and I'd like to see if anyone else has looked at these...

First of all it reiterated several "world view" kind of ideas I had come to completely on my own, about one-ness with God and the presence of Spirit.  Odd that I came up with it by myself when someone else did too...

Talked about Nuero Therapy - that one therapy where they hook you up to an EEG and tell you when you have particular brain waves so you can "feel" to and recreate it purposefully - it sounds almost like meditation with an EEG so you can actually "see" what your brain is doing... Interesting thoughts here, to me:

The book says that the beta waves (associated with analytic thought) occur in the frontal lobe of the brain - interestingly studies of Executive Functioning Disorder indicate that the same area of the brain does NOT light up in many people with ADHD and ASD...  Those waves that are associated with sleep (theta and delta waves) are seen on an EEG when someone is meditating, and have been recorded while people have been claiming to have an "intuitive episode" in progress.  They tend to light up in the rear portion of the brain - a pattern ALSO seen in ADHD and ASD patients...

One survey indicated a statistical correlation between those who report allergies and sensory sensitivities and intuitive abilities...  Funny how many reports I have read attributing ASD behavior to allergic symptoms (from PANDAS to the new "inflamed amniotic fluid" idea to GFCF diets, to processed foods, etc.)  And Lord knows there is a MAJOR sensory component to ASD behavior...

As I laid reading the book in front of an open window, I shivered and thought maybe I should go get a blanket.   I dismissed the thought, I was too engrossed.  About 1 minute later my ASD son was draping a blanket over me brought up from the basement... and then he left - unusual of him to not seek "propioceptive" cuddling...

Psychic for Special Needs families once asked on her Facebook page if maybe the "autism" is the outward symptom for intuition, or if intuition is a side affect of autism...  

I am thinking the link is PRETTY EVIDENT, even if we can't put our fingers directly on it!  It's like being able to calculate the presence of a black hole because you can see the affect its gravity has on neighboring planets even if you don't actually pick up the black hole visually...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My thoughts are mine, yours are yours, this page is mine - offensive comments will be deleted. Thanks!