Reflections of and on a probably Asperger's parent parenting an Asperger's kid (or 2)!

dragon pups

dragon pups

Friday, November 30, 2012

Good kids

some days, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated....

and some days I remember to just watch and be AMAZED....

I have Good Kids!

Like yesterday:

We had brunch at Panera - we were commuting home from Maryland to Virginia and after getting stuck in city traffic we HAD to eat, so we went to Panera.  My kids polished off 5 meals with me...1 bowl of soup, 3 cups of soup, 2 sandwiches, 1 salad and 1 quiche.  This particular Panera was near a Big Mall and a County Government Center - they were the ONLY children in the restaurant (home schooling seems to be less prevelant in these uber urban areas - I guess they get the services they need/ want), and while there was some "contact sport" involved in the salad eating, sandwiches are supposed to have fingers, and the use of spoon was superior!  As I sat surrounded by urban professionals and uptown moms, I was very proud of my children comporting themselves approriately and decoriously.  You know, we ARE pretty cool...

Later that evening, after Girl Scout meeting, as we completed our "eternal hang out at the library" day, I momentarily misplaced my son, and found him in the bathroom, with poop all over his hands and the toilet.  He has developed some.... unorthodox.... methods for coping with constipation mechanically.  Naturally I found the librarian and asked for extra paper towels and sanitary wipes.  Thankfully it was near the end of the library's operating day and I did not have a big audience to deal with this just fabulous activity.  The library staff was nicely appreciative.  You know, we ARE pretty gross...

Once again, I am reminded that ALL lives are an amazing combination of Tradgedy and Triumph, of Greatness and Horrificness... the ups come with the downs and the downs come with the ups...

The lesson seems to be: Ride the waves, man...  Just BE where you are, 'cuz you're gonna be someplace else soon. 

It also is that everything takes 5 times longer than you think it should....suck it up.

Sometimes I am am so proud of all we are, as a family...

And sometimes I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My thoughts are mine, yours are yours, this page is mine - offensive comments will be deleted. Thanks!